The Mariposas Spanish Program
Mariposas’ curriculum is one of a kind. It has been lovingly crafted and fine-tuned over many years of research, trials, and success. We are proud to have pioneered an innovative approach to language learning and welcome you to our program. ¡Bienvenidos a Mariposas Spanish School!
A Brief Overview:
1. Our core curriculum is holistic and is based mostly on the Montessori and Total Physical Response methods, while also pulling from the Natural Approach, Sign Language, and the Seven Intelligences.
2. Lessons are themed around topics and books and teach children Spanish through the arts, sciences, history, practical life, and Latin culture. All in Spanish!
3. Class is about having fun without pressure so that children can establish a positive association with learning a new language. This means that the child’s mood, ideas, imagination, and questions can lead the class. (Within the bounds of the lesson.)
4. As in Montessori, Mariposas maestras meet the children at their level. Different teaching methods and approaches are used to make learning easy for everyone. Small class sizes allow instructors to provide individual attention to each student.
5. Lessons are custom-made by our Curriculum Design Team. All projects, worksheets, flashcards, and posters are designed specifically for our students and programs.
6. Students are not only acquiring Spanish language skills but are learning about different cultures and are gaining an understanding of other people.
7. We offer real-world practice opportunities for students and families, ranging from parent tips to bilingual events around Austin. Even if you do not have time to use our online resources or practice suggestions, rest assured that your child will still be finding joy in learning Spanish in our classes.
Preschool students working on three-part matching cards with their maestra.
Meditation and Yoga in Spanish during Cuba Camp 2019.
Preschooler watching Mariposas en Casa classes.
“Our girls love Mariposas camps and classes! It’s always a testimony to the fact that they are learning when they blurt out a new Spanish word in the correct context while playing or talking with us! We love that it’s learning in the Montessori style as well interactively and that the camps include all types of subject matter including science and even cooking recipes! “
– Chelsea Combs 2021
Available to Our Mariposas Families:
Parent Lesson Log In
This section of our website offers an easy way for parents to find and print out the lessons/vocabulary for the month. In the monthly lesson document, you will find the weekly vocabulary, the books we are reading, and suggestions for how to practice at home. In the parent log in area, you will also be able to download and listen to our song of the month.
Families receive a newsletter each week with information on class lessons, tips for practicing at home, a link to our song of the month and updates on local bilingual & cultural family friendly events happening in Austin.
Resources for easy at home practice!
Continue practicing outside of the classroom with all of our resources that always connect back to our lesson. Visit our Práctica Más section to find out about our App, Music, Material and more!
About our lessons: Mariposas strives to provide current, exciting and engaging lessons to all our students thus we create each lesson based on the child’s interest and current events. We have a member on staff that creates our posters, flashcards and worksheets for curriculum. We are very proud of this and find that it makes a difference when teaching.
Flashcards and posters now available for purchase here.
Mariposas Spanish lessons on-demand include weekly video lessons delivered straight to your inbox. Classes are 15 to 20 minutes and can be watched/listened to whenever you want, as many times as you want. For more information, please visit our Mariposas en Casa page.
This option is for ages 2.5 to 10 with classes once or twice a week. If you would like the Mariposas Program at your child’s school, day care or community center, please have your director contact: email@example.com.
We have over 20 years experience working with schools, their teachers and directors. We understand the importance of each school’s schedule and rules. Our teachers always strive to accommodate and respect the daily flow so that Spanish classes are a positive addition to each school.
If we are not at your school, your child can always join classes that are open to all children. This option is great for beginners and for those continuing their Spanish education. Each school year we offer several options for the Mariposas Classroom.
If you would like to establish a public Mariposas Classroom, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
We can come to you! Organize a Spanish group with friends and neighbors. Find at least six friends, pick a day and time and we will bring Spanish classes to your house once a week.
Note: This option is limited to the availability of teachers.
Contact: email@example.com to create a home class!
It’s fun! It’s educational! It’s immersion in Spanish and Latin culture! Children are exposed to Spanish through cooking, music, dance, art, games, and so much more. Camps are typically held in early June and August and are available weekly. Please visit our Summer Camp Page for more information.
Central Austin Schools
See our 2019 – 2020 Central Austin Mariposas Classes below! Click on a school to learn more.
East Austin Schools
See our 2019 – 2020 East Austin Mariposas Classes below! Click on a school to learn more.
South Austin Schools
See our 2019 – 2020 South Austin Mariposas Classes below! Click on a school to learn more.